top of page
  • Writer's pictureAlicia LaHaie

Louisiana Marriage License Info

Getting Married in New Orleans or anywhere in the state of Louisiana? I've got you covered on the how and when.


How Do I Apply for my Marriage Liscense?

You'll need to go into one of any parish-level clerk of court office and fill out the Marriage Liscense Application (this form can be found online and filled out ahead of time):

What forms of ID must I show? 

You'll need to bring your birth certificate and photo identification.


Birth certificate requirements? 

Bring a certified copy of your birth certificate with a stamp or raised seal. A short-form certification card is okay for Louisiana residents. Non-English certificates must have a sworn translation that's notarized.


Photo ID requirements? 

Bring unexpired photo ID, such as a driver's license, state-issued ID card, federal-issued ID card, passport, or visa with form I-94.

What if I'm divorced? 

If your last marriage ended in divorce, bring a certified copy of your divorce decree.

What if my previous spouse died? 

If your last marriage ended with the death of your spouse, bring a certified copy of their death certificate.

When will I get my license? 

You'll get your marriage license immediately, but you'll have to wait 24 hours to use it. So if you are flying into town to get married, make sure to get into town at least with enough time between being issues the marriage license and using it for your wedding ceremony.

How long will my license remain valid? 

Your marriage license will expire 30 days after issuance at midnight. If you are trying to get things done ahead of time, just make sure you aren't getting the liscese too far ahead of your wedding date.

When must my license be returned? 

Your marriage license must be returned to the office that issued it for recording no later than 10 days after marriage. You can turn it back into the office in person or you can mail it back if you are flying out the next day for your honeymoon. Your officiant can also return the liscense for you.

Who can preside over my marriage? 

Your marriage can be solemnized by a judge, justice of the peace, or parish-registered clergyperson of any religious sect or society, including Quakers.

Are witnesses required? 

Yes, Two competent witnesses aged 18 or over must attend your marriage ceremony. Afterward, they'll sign the certificate portion of your license.

Where Do I go to turn in my Application for Marriage to get my Marriage Liscese?

There are locations all over the state, you can find the one closest to where you are getting married here:

For those getting married in or near New Orleans, these are the two office locations I recommend for their speedy service and professional staff:

West Bank Office

Jefferson Parish General Government Center

200 Derbigny St, Suite 2200

Gretna, LA 70053

For those that will need to mail their Marriage Licese back after the wedding:

Mailing Address

PO Box 10

Gretna, LA 70054

East Bank Office

Joseph S. Yenni Building

1221 Elmwood Park Blvd, Suite 603

Jefferson, LA 70121

-Their mailing address is the same as their physical address.

How much does it cost and how do I pay?

Payments Accepted:

Cash, Money Order, Cashier's Check, Certified Check, Personal Check

Regular Fee:


After the Wedding, if you wish to change one or both of your last names, how do you do it?

Name change after marriage isn't automatic. You can use a marriage name change kit to help get it done. You can take your spouse's last name, hyphenate, or return to any previous surname. You can also replace your middle name with your maiden name.


Also, if you're looking for How to get your Officiant Ordained to perform your wedding ceremony, check out my next blog post!



bottom of page